Saturday, November 15, 2003

Resurrection the Experience: From the Cradle to the Grave(life ain't eva been easy)



I was compelled to write after viewing Tupac: Resurrection on last evening. I have a few mixed feelings about the movie and the man but i'm going to try to fit everything here.

After reading a few reviews about the movie I guess at the end of the day I can say that I draw my own conclusions about things. Well isn't that what your supposed to do? I suspect yes we, are but there are so many that get caught up in other people's views, their opinions become yours.....(Ok, I'm touching something else here-later for that). Nevertheless I read one review that really stood out to me. The naiveness of the writer, touching subject matter that I can tell is so foreign to him. But everybody has an opinion. Over time thoughts become dreams, opinions become theories which then turns into a way of life. These are the things that we manifest. Tupac manifested a certain way of thinking and living.

I can remember when Tupac was alive I would watch this brotha on t.v. talking about this and that. But I never knew his struggle, his intentions. His intentions were never really made clear while he was alive. Only out of death has this man been understood fully. Certain images on t.v. or articles in magazines depicted Tupac as a quite complex, angry, talented, big mouth actor with little heart. I disagree only with the no heart sentiment. The film showed many sides of the man we've come to know-from childhood to becoming a man.

Honestly this was one of the better documentaries I've seen about Pac in a while. Believe I've seen many shit...lol God only knows there's like 700 of them between B.I.G. and Pac alone. I like the fact that it was narrated by Pac. Yes the splicing of certain phrases and pictures did start to annoy me but I was fulfilled by the rest of the film. If your going to see this film with the intentions of finding out who and why he was killed then think again......There was little to no clues as to the who's and whats of Pac's murder. Who killed Pac and why? In the words of the slain himself "I don't know".

An excerpt from another review:

The movie bears a superficial resemblance to another vanity piece, THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE, but the production values in that mesmerizing movie were dramatically higher.

Ignoring how bad it looks, what does it say? The overly reverential film, told almost exclusively through archival recordings of interviews with Tupac, tries to show him as a sweet guy. The film's imagery suggests that he was something of a god-like figure, offering us images of Christ on the cross. The movie is filled with cheap shots against his many critics.

A man arrested about a dozen times for crimes ranging from jaywalking to shooting people to gang rape, Tupac spent time in jail and in prison. He claims to be innocent of his crimes and throws all of the blame for them on "the system." At one point, he describes his philosophy as, "I am a thug, and I rap about the oppressed fighting back." When confronted with his crimes and actions, his response is, "I don't gotta be a role model." Between his songs that say otherwise, he tells us how much he loves and respects women.

The relatively mundane movie is chock full of little details about his life. He tells us that he lived here and then he lived there and that his father was in prison here. He says that he is especially proud of his mother's having been a Black Panther.

The film is for Tupac's dyed-in-the-wool fans only. And even they may be quite disappointed and downright bored as there is little singing but lots of mindless gabbing.


I say to each his or her own, but if your not familiar with the content study it first before making oneself look like an ass....How would you know what poverty is if you've never lived it, breathed it? You don't, you can get a good idea from my descriptions but you will never feel the pains and ills of that particular society. So, no this critic couldn't even begin to understand how one man with so much power -who then realizes his power could NOT want to be a role model. I've seen this many times, especially with entertainers.

After so many record sales, many articles, many philosophies about things, the world starts to comply with your truth. The truth is felt at most when it appears that there are similarities. So thug niggas around the world heard what this cat said-took to those words thus a following was born. Tupac birthed a revolution of Thug Life shouting, living folk across the world. To have that kind of weight can be an enormous burden.

Shit is deeper than what my man above says. There's more to it than some guy being a rapper selling millions of units, being arrested a few times, shot a few times. As Bjork says, "there's more to life than this."
At least I think so, what about you?

No comments: