Tuesday, October 26, 2004

my adidas vs. my white tee [YEP!]

2 ponder....

i recall the first time i heard run dmc's my adidas. i'm thinking "this is a great song". plus i was beginning to like sneakers while coming to terms with my relaxed comfortable self. there was nothing greater than a hip hop song that celebrated one of my fav brands of sneaks. i also remember the intensity heads had for that song each time it was played at concerts, school dances and house/block parties. it was a celebration of our own culture..hip hop.

hip hop over the years has had many material elements that have sorta defined it or been attached to as symbols. take the turntables, b-boys/b-girls, fat laces, sneakers, track jackets, sagging over sized clothing, truck jewlery, bandanas, gazelles to ray bans to gucci shades, all the way till now...the white tee. all symbols used or worn by listeners and followers of the culture.

the dynamics of the 2:
"with no shoe strings in em, i did not win em" <-- my adidas quote
"i bling in my white tee, serve fiends in my white tee" <--- my white tee quote.


a question was asked what is/was the difference of the two?..i replied "not a damn thing, same shit diff time" but of course those of us who are elite in our music tastes see no similarities of the two. if you ask me your blind! it's blatant and exact. i see both songs as a celebration of a material product used to describe the culture in that day and time.

now i'm not speaking lyrical content before you reply about how wack my white tee lyrics are or how wack the beat is....please. use your mind to travel beyond and really see that there is a similarity. HISTORY WILL ALWAYS RECYCLE ITSELF! that is the inevitable. this isn't 1986 but 2004 and i see my white tee as i saw my adidas then and now..both songs are about why they like these things, what they do in them and how they wear them...actually, each song made me appreciate both items. but hey, i'm well rounded in my musical tastes so i'm able to step outside to see the similarities. *snicker*

lol! it was said that my white tee was big up'n a criminal nature..lol wtf? funny because cats around my way have been wearing white tees for many years. even my father wears white tee's he's not a criminal or thug. i think there's more here than we'd care to say as well. i believe it to be an overall dislike for certain styles of music from certain areas of the counrty. dare i say it...southern music. i've debated countless people when it comes to topics concerning southern artists, music and hatred we receive from various parts of the world.

if the question posed is one of "what's the diff in the two songs"..then you should list the differences...not "oh them dimwits is wack" or "the beat is wack" or "the backdrop one note keyboard is stupid"....duh!!! that's not a difference..that's a dislike for that product. the original question posed was a very good one. well at least that what i thought. and i'm not ashamed to say that run dmc contrary to what u may think...were not the greatest mc's alive. they are celebrated because of the barriers and hurdles they overcame for the sake of hip hop. although they are my peeps...they were NOT lyrical gods...sorry. neither are dem franchize boys. but this wasn't about lyrics.

i'm really surprised this is the first song to actually celebrate the white tee. it's all good though. this did make for a great debate topic.

however, i'll continue to wear my white tee and adidas...while brushing yall haters off. lol


thanks clash_sic for such a cool topic to ponder.

1 comment:

Sin(ere said...

since white t-shirts have been a part of hip-hop from the very beginning, wouldn't a better comparison been between "my adidas" and "air force one's". adidas for an older generation, and air force ones for a newer generation?